The first race of the 2022/23 CC6 was at Ocknell, in the New Forest. It was a cracking day, with the Forest looking splendid, some autumnal changes in the leaves and clear skies. Unfortunately I saw a bit too much it. Foolishly I relied on my phone’s Sat Nav to get me there and spent some time at various other campsites, some very narrow roads and passing the same ponies at least twice. Eventually I arrived at the race parking, a little short on time and a little flustered. I was pleased to see the Wessex spinner with Richard and Phil (clearly with a good sense of direction) already there and ready to run.
It was an out and back course but to allow us to finish near the car park, we had to walk about 15 minutes to the start. A smaller field of runners than at the RR10s but it was a busy day with other events on in Bournemouth and at the Ageas bowl. Pre-race information was given – a new course, opportunities to get lost, still plenty of daylight etc. Then we were off.
A narrow start, the path climbing through the trees and then out into open Forest. It was perfect weather, beautiful sunshine and dry underfoot with a long flat section, dipping under the dual carriageway using an underpass. All seemed to be going well until a long downhill section, unfortunately there were some faster runners coming the other way suggesting that what goes down must come up. After turning at the bottom of the hill the climb back up was pretty long and leg sapping. After reaching the top it was back the way we came, followed by an extra last kilometre back to the car park – which typically included a hill for the last 200m and into the finish.
Three finishers for Wessex, Phil (61), Nigel (100) and Richard (125). Not enough for a team result but hopefully some more runners at the next race (Itchen Valley 13th November). A good start to the season, a nice course, well marshalled and easy parking (if you can find it).
Hardley Runners, Romsey Road Runners, Halterworth Harriers and Southampton Tri Club
CC6 Event #1 – 9th October 2022.
We look forward to seeing you at Ocknell campsite on the 9th of October for the first CC6 race. Our race will be within the Ocknell Inclosure Starting 1km walk away from the campsite heading up and round towards the A31, before going under the A31 and out towards the Canadian war memorial. Before reaching the Canadian war memorial the course drops down to highland water before turning round and heading back the same route but with a bit added on to finish closer to the campsite. The course is 4.98 miles and is on the some wide and some narrow gravel tracks. The track does get soft in places and can be underwater in places depending on the weather, we hope you enjoy the race.
A few notes about the event.
- 09:30 start time, Car park will open at 8am – closure at 12pm
- We will meet at the tent area at 09:15 before making our way as a group toward the start, this is to ensure no one gets lost heading to the start.
- Carparking will be in Ocknell campsite, Forest Rd, Burley, Ringwood BH24 4HW – What3words ///horseshoe.area.tender and we have been given permission to park on the concrete areas
- Carshare where possible to keep vehicle numbers down and if you could please be patient with the marshals who will do their best to get everyone parked in the space we have been given.
- The area for the club tents will be close to the parking area and the marshals will direct you. It’s a small walk from the club tent area to the start line which will take around 10 minutes.
- The course is open to the public so please aware of other people along the route.
- There will be portaloos provided, please use these and not the forest!
- Water will be available at the race finish, but please bring your own water bottles / cups. However, with Covid 19 still present we advise that you bring your own drinks with you.
- Given current levels of Covid 19 please if you are not feeling well or have been in contact with anyone who has Covid then please do not attend the event.
- We ask that you do not litter and take your rubbish home with you, but we will have bins in the tent area if they are required.
- Please call Matt if you have any queries or need assistance on the day 07940040469.
- Course map – Ocknell CC6 route | 8.0 km Running Route on Strava
CC6 event #1 race team.